Saturday 20 October 2018

The Klassic Note Spirit Part 1 – 2007 and Where It All Started

Hi, and welcome to the KN10YEARS segment where I talk about the story behind my biggest passion and hobby till date: music appreciation. Okay, that might just be it for all of us, but it is rather important to me, and has taken up much of my life than what my life represents right now. And so, I'd like to talk about the journey. The journey, where I took 10 years to passionately search for something I like in music. The journey, I'd like to call "The Klassic Note Spirit". Let's start from the beginning, shall we?




The Klassic Note Spirit Part 1
"2007 and Where it All Started"
(*This is an adaptation of the original excerpt which was posted here)


THE BEGINNING
It is surprisingly hard to determine how it all started considering that by the time you realise it you're already deep inside, unable to find the origin. I suppose it was because of my craze of several Anime at that time which influenced me when I was still a (secondary school, or middle school senior equivalent) student in 2007 listening to Chinese songs and oldies, watching and laughing to old shows and to practically any media that appeared on the TV. At that time I’m still far from using the Internet due to the speed limitations that prohibited the development of mass downloading of any sort of media. Of course, if I had to define a start to everything, that shall be...

"If it was anything that started the J-Pop craze, it has got to do with Anime. And for my case, it is none other than BLEACH."

THE REAL BEGINNING
Well this is not exactly true. What really started goes a little further than that period of watching Anime. In fact, it should be more further back. In 2006, Japanese music had influence over Singapore and what we listened as music. And among them was Koda Kumi. Yeah. Her music video back then surprised me, opened me to a new world of beauty (I was exaggerating here to show impact) who can sing to the tunes I like. And maybe it’s because of that, I started to fall in love with specifically one of her songs, named "Koi no Tsubomi". (Trans.: Bud of Love)

Bud that said (pun intended), probably it was because she started my interest in Japanese songs, followed by Anime "BLEACH" as the boost - where I got to hear many theme songs from a variety of mainstream artists in Japan - which meant a lot to keep my interest going. A good analogy would be if Koda Kumi’s song was the starting fluid, then Anime "BLEACH" theme songs were the fuel. Here I thank the Anime staff (production and all, especially the composers and artists in the theme songs) for making an impact on me.

"I still remember those days where I was waiting for a new episode or arc of (Anime) BLEACH to be subbed and when I heard the new theme song, all (of) the action came to me. It was the first time I heard such a powerful and different (style of) rock music. It was the first time, I knew of Ajikan. (ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION)"


THE POWER AND IMPACT OF J-ROCK
Looking back at them, those were the days, wasn’t it? Another representation of such power in the first songs I've heard which made J-Rock was Sambomaster. Their feels for Rock n' Roll music is probably one of the strongest and most influential in Japan. Their appearance in an Anime "BLEACH" movie may end up being the best of the theme songs which got me hyped back then, titled "Hikari no Rock". (Trans: Rock [Music] of Light)

"At that time, I repeated the song so many times just to shout along and then weep on the last chorus. Seriously; It was just a song…"

And that is probably how it all started. Some exposure to J-Pop a decade ago when it was locally popular (screw you K-Pop) along with a slew of Anime theme songs... It was abrupt, it was sudden, it may have been an orgy of new songs I have never heard in Chinese or English music, but back then it was fresh. So fresh, I've decided to stay and search for more. It may not have been to do with my introverted personality though; it needs another story for this. But still, music may have been what everyone liked, but being inside Japanese music... that was my life. And my desire to want more could not stop.


Next Up: The Klassic Note Spirit Part 2 – The Year 2008 and the Culture of Initiation
(I'm soaking in new songs like a sponge right now to be honest)





(**All linked references ago were active at time of publishing this post. They are meant for educational purposes and not are not taken directly from any intellectual property)