Friday 28 August 2020

How To Read A Seiyuu Magazine: What Otakus Actually Buy In Japan Part 2

Haha ikr I keep stacking them up but recycle none of them
Happy birthday Ten-chan!! Your birthday gift is me reviewing two singles not from you lmao okay I bought that magazine for you tbh so you're welcome

Yes, the time has come. Problem is, why has it to be on a Friday (tomorrow would be great imo, or not because) when I have to work overtime because they refuse to let me go? You know how high I was when I saw the delivery notification during lunch and have been slacking thinking about it all afternoon?? YOU KNOW HOW THIS FEELS??? Haha okay I haven't calmed down yet so if you would excuse me I would like to convert this caffeine-free energy into the record-breaking TWO posts in one day.

Yes.

This is going to be a long night haha

But of course, we're here for a specific reason: that magazine. So yes, I'll talk about the whole package of course, but focus on that one magazine I bought I promise you not because of the book itself (because digital and China pirating *wink*), but besides that we'll talk about the two singles who will be on my shelf soon after tonight, as you can see below:

声優グランプリ20年09月号表紙
Seiyuu Grand Prix 2020 September
Minase Inori 8th Single "Kokoro Somari"
チュラタ チュラハ【Radio盤】
Earphones Single "churata churaha"

BUT FIRST... *laughs*
You don't know how happy I was when I was at lunch today at work this took two weeks to arrive on Express Mail FYI

BOOM! And that's why I open it from the back hehe skip all the padding

Is that? Is that who I think it is...??

Earphones' single "churata churaha"
(I, uh, picked it up when I noticed I gave the B-side on their album from last month)

Oooo Marinka!! *giggles*
("I want to give you happiness" Oh really?? Haha okay)

Minase Inori 8th single "Kokoro Somari"
(Her live tour theme song was the only song I didn't give half a year ago)

Okay it says 2020 September but I promise you Japan is actually one month ahead of us lol


雑誌 Seiyuu Grand Prix 2020 September
The theme is "Who do you want to date?", no joke haha
As you can see, the cover features the now super popular Anime (yeah and I don't even watch those lol) that is "Kanojo, Okarishimasu", also known as "KanoKari", or "Rental Girlfriend" if you hate the Japanese language. But if you like Japanese people though, then this book will not disappoint.

A brief summary of this book would be, if you haven't noticed the keyword despite having fancy English on the title, it's a voice actor focused magazine, because there is a huge market for them now. So everything about them, which in today's terms include of course, voice acting (there are ads for voice acting in it btw) in Anime and in various mediums because no one's only famous for Anime now haha, and being the most popular serialisation for about two decades (yeah), Seiyuu Grand Prix is one of the two monthly magazines (next to Seiyuu Animedia) to cover many regular sections and interviews, photo shoots, and everything in between of what voice actors do, from singing to... well you know, gravure, cosplay maybe. *laughs* Oh, just ignore those whatever newbie idol groups though because man are they irritating and everywhere in this book haha also male voice actors lol I'm not gay

As for special gifts which I must say, are the focus of this purchase...
It's not only Naobou obviously (or this will be a scam lol), because the rest are inside as a set, as shown on the magazine's official Twitter

Oh? Oh??? *giggles*

Eh? Eh?? It's not one???

NOT YOU TOO!!! Haha

Yes, ALL of them. As indicated by their official Twitter

Those pores man, the essence of truth haha also why I still like Rieri

This, I was genuinely surprised at. I thought it was ONE of the four characters (girls) enclosed in it (as in you can still take it out) but both are NOT true as of my review now because (1) all 4 of them are in it which yay I thought I was already attached to Ruka-chan Naobou lol but I saw Ten-chan and heaved a sigh of relief lol, and (2) they... are binded to the book. Yes, stuck as part of the book. No tear lines at all; I took a good look at that. *sigh* Seiyuu Grand Prix why

Still, there's way more to this than that since they are technically not worth any money priceless (hehe), so let's go through some of the "highlights" of my browsing through of the book which I promise, I will spend more time with. Not going to show everything though

Ah yes, Amamiya Sora's serialisation "10 Miles to America" where she does English
(Ten-chan I think you meant "I" will make a good husband- Okay idiot me haha)

Here's a test to try out for yourself before looking at the answers but damn I suck lol I just use the same word for all haha

Yes this is why I bought this magazine haha Nan-chan!!~
(Yes 47th issue too because Shi-na get it)

This one's for my bro but still Mikuu~
(I'm not into her btw haha)

Wait, who are you?? GO AWAY haha

Ah, they have behind the scenes shots for all of the serialisations too I'll read that later

And you thought Aki-chan's Twitter account of drawing was awesome she does this regularly man it has been done here 112 times before also easy read on this one haha

Oh they read fan mail and receive fan art too that's cool

Oh if I fill the survey out I have a chance to get any two of these? Eh anything from the first three rows would do preferably No. 9 haha ah (lol)

YES!! Haha next issue hype? lol this gonna be good though

All in all, I would argue I'm only interested in HALF the book despite this one book which is about 2 Starbucks Cafe Lattes (in Japan) but even then it's TOTALLY worth the money now I know why people buy this monthly already. Or even so, in digital. Yes, this is available in digital platforms too. So yeah, that's how I got my new phone wallpapers lmao that is not on me though

Anyways, this is as far as I will go to show anything in this book, or otherwise please buy this monthly 100-odd pages magazine to see all the effort putting together all this good stuff for yourself. I mean, I'll buy just for the images to take photos on let me bend this on my scanner haha you can microwave the binder too btw I've seen videos of it done lmao dedication...? *laughs* Again, this is just a test to show you what it is like to buy a magazine in Japan (yes, if the magazines you buy aren't half as good as this I understand), so no I will not buy another issue again not even for my imouto




This shall be it. Interviews, you say? Not really doing it, because there are A LOT (counting KanoKari, Naobou's Anison album, Sumipe etc.) so I'm only going through them in my head (as much as I can, or I'll just use a dictionary haha) instead of translating like I will do last year lol like seriously I bought this magazine for the special gifts no joke haha.

Next up! Klassic Note Reviews x2!! Man, when's the last time I review two singles at once haha if not for me not noticing Earphones' latest single from last year is already eligible this would have not happened cya in the next post or vice versa if you have visited that

P.S. I think I said whoever I saw first in the unboxing shall be together with me forever so Ten-chan if you don't mind I'm sorry to marry Naobou on your birthday haha okay you saw them all on the cover first you dope