Thursday 21 April 2022

The Klassic Note Review 2022.04

Haha I like how we already have another review in line probably due next month and we have this

Sorry man, I should've done this yesterday, but due to some surprise review purchase which was delayed by two weeks (lol) and THEN having to deal with new songs on Music Release Wednesday haha, I decided to do this a day later and give myself more time to think about this release. No later though; I have Anime to watch in the weekend lmao

Anyways, this isn't a new new single, but talking about old we cannot be older than Ajikan here so... well they started when I was like, 4? So *laughs* This single is also a regret just like RyokuShaka in which I could've reviewed it last year- Man, what is with me judging songs in 2021




音楽 The Klassic Note Review
ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION - Empathy [Single]
Limited Edition Regular Edition
(Welcome to the most exciting spot the difference contest! Jokes aside though, this quirky over-detailed art style is by Nakamura Yuusuke as with almost all of their releases)

Origin: And I have no idea where to start for this long time Klassic Note Collection Artist. Thanks to an Anime titled "BLEACH" which many probably started on, they have quickly solidified their position in my heart busting out Rock songs where my teenage days are with its mood swings, and they immediately appealed to me. Fast forward to so many years later, we have personally seen them change from their mellow style to slightly more lively, from more inspired by English themes and song titles to vocalist Masafumi Gotoh going solo with "Gotch" and other members forming new groups of different genres... this band has come a long way. And that is still not doing them justice to show how great they are. This release coincided with their 25th anniversary, it was a heavy credit to the recent Anime "Boku no Hero Academia" movie which I did not pay attention to in 2021, but now that I have come around to it with the new album release, I am reminded of how this represents who they are today.

(1) Empathy
From the first chorus:
"Going through the days with a twisted form
Overcoming the sea of asphalt
Upon the horizon (we) can see freedom though
Facing it and shouting at the world
As always"
When I listened to this song, it really reminded me of good old "Ajikan" as fans call them. When they started in the late 90s, emo and alternative Rock is a trend especially in Japan, and they are easily identified with their slow build-up in verses to the more impactful choruses and easy listening melodies overall. These easily attributed to how they sound and even produce their music today, and the vocals only make it more depressing especially if their songs take a turn. Fortunately, this has a rather hopeful and happy mood for an Anime movie theme song, maybe too positive for their image, but it is nonetheless a typical song of their trade.
Rating: Average

(2) Flowers
From the first/last chorus:
"Ah
Hearing the bells ring
See, it isn't the end it's just the beginning
Even if (one) forgets about (it) cleanly
Still, somewhere (I am) still smiling"
Ah, this is the other side of Ajikan, as I often mention about bands having a second image. With a lively mood these Rock bands tend to have, I'm surprised to hear of them having cultivated such a mood when it comes to emotional songs, and this is very titular of their emo feels. With a long song length building up to represent the slow mood yet carry the essence of the emotion within, to extending the song through instrumentals that will sit you into feeling the song more than listening to the lyrics, this is truly what I admired of them even listening to their old tracks from best albums all these years despite never going through their full music library. Still, the lyrics talk about what sounded like the cycle of life and departure, and I am trying not to cry upon it. I mean, can you not? This is still too cool to tear up too though, I will say that much. 
Rating: Above Average

(3) Furetai Tashikametai (Seiho Mix) [I Want To Touch You And Be Sure]
As you can see in the title, it's a remix. Essentially the vocal tracks are passed to a song producer who in typical cases change drastically the style and instruments behind the original melody which was released in a single back in 2020. So, if you listen to the original song, you will know that I prefer that version, and if I were to talk about that one, then I will say it is a good song. For this though? I am not going to comment about as I generally give songs including mixes based on songs I have given. Specifically for this though, I wouldn't have given it if I heard of this, honestly. The original is good mainly because it has an easy chorus to listen to, and it features guest vocalist Shiotsuka Moeka which gives a duo singing feel to it and is really chill in mood despite it being a love song talking about physical contact.
Rating: (Not this remix, the original song) Above Average


Conclusion: If you have adored the likes of emo and alternative Rock listening to Japanese music all these years, I wonder why you have not stumbled upon them yet. But if you had, you will understand the feels coming out of this single for their 25-year long journey into creating music. That, you will have learnt of its best and worst to know that this is just one of those things you will remember forever. This impact, will be enough for me to come back to for years to come. Also, if you like some of those long songs with a mellow mood, Ajikan has a lot of those to tide you through, and I speak from experience.


- Aozaki Shouhei, on the Klassic Note


(And if you wonder how Track 3 had such a perfect English translation, you should've seen this literally written on the CD booklet. Also, I didn't talk about the music video(s) anyways because you don't look at Ajikan, you listen to their feels. That is what music is about anyways imo)


THE PACKAGE
Ah, this is worth talking about despite being like, uh, half a year late already at this point? Haha ah hey, never too late, yes? It's not two years like Ten-chan's single we reviewed early this year or even Ajikan's single from 2009- Damn that's a long time ago haha about a decade after it released then I reviewed that CD thanks to... one of their many best albums lol
Nothing much inside the package, this is your usual standard CD release so don't expect idol-artist level decorations inside of the release. Again, shoutout to Nakamura Yuusuke for the awesome cover as usual this guy is a regular at their release covers if you need reference go to their discography haha (And Anime "Youjouhan Shinwa Taikei" because this guy is the character designer for that FYI lol when you do illustrations long enough to reach that level dude) (Aww man the sequel is just a movie not a TV series? Haha ok me), and looks like they have adopted a bird as their symbol in recent years. Yeah, didn't figure out what that meant so
Along with the release, and that is why it did not come with any major package similar to SHE'S, it came from CDJapan which listed a special gift of an anniversary sticker set, which I assume is probably the least appealing of the online stores considering we are half a year late, but I'll take anything at this point. Probably not going to use those stickers though, I highly doubt it'll withstand the amount of water it takes to wash my bottle that I'm going to paste them on haha




That will be all, ladies and gentlemen! What is up next is whatever you would not believe it because I still don't too after making the purchase yesterday, likely next month we will be reviewing Itou Miku's new single! Yay, ma bro would be proud. *laughs* Yeah anyways we will talk about how that happened even lol, and how I might be taking her impression as with Ueda Reina we have discovered in recent years. See you all then. Or when the upcoming major package where I finally can review two more photobooks and say I go to school despite it being a fanclub lol bye

TL:DR;
Trust me, the receipt didn't look this clear cut when I started buying from these guys a decade ago *wink*