Friday 8 September 2023

The Welfare Package September 2023: What Otakus Actually Buy In Japan Part 5 feat. Melonbooks

(Click here to skip to the disclaimer)
This is probably this blog's biggest post yet, I had to prepare for this from Monday and lasted the whole week just because, and I conceptualized this almost a month ago to give credit to Japan's indie artists. And after following some of them for more than a year, I think I can confidently do this now.

*takes a deep breath*

πŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“š
✨WELCOME TO MY ONE AND ONLY COMIKET 102 SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!✨
πŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“šπŸˆπŸ“š

*laughs*

This is the closest I can make it to a Comiket without actually being there. This is what people do if they had a lot of money (and didn't have to pay for international shipping) and actually went to every single booth out of the hundreds of them at Tokyo Big Sight to check them out.

This, is MY PENULTINATE REVIEW, of Japan's 102th Comic Market!!

Shall we begin?
(*This is a long post you have been warned)




THE ORIGIN
If you have no idea of the world of not Manga and Anime, let me fill you in. We are specifically talking about doujinshi, fan-made artwork which are initially derived from you guessed it, original comics and animations which are popular to the masses, but as I found out it's more indie in nature, from the world of anthology works and fanfics to even creation of originals that will stand out in the crowd. Comic Market ie. Comiket, is the biggest representation of all this and cosplay which is also another branch of Japanese culture where people dress up as their favourite Anime characters, is historically held in the Tokyo Big Sight exhibition hall for the past couple of decades. If not for the world being on fire for the past couple of years, which is why this one marks the first in-person event back on location instead of utilizing the Internet to promote them, spanning throughout the weekend of 12-13 August 2023.

Today, many of them artists take it up to the Internet to display their work on social media albeit for free, and they try to sell their artwork in physical form from time to time to keep up with their own passions. And that's why I started thinking of paying them my respects like I owe them all of this greatness, to save artists from being internationally abused or more commonly exploited on the Internet due to lack of consumer knowledge, putting their careers at risk. And I'm not even talking about the recent trend in AI and how these artwork drawn by humans will be used to fuel tomorrow's machine learning models.(I don't have to find examples authors just repost these fan observations of people stealing works without paying or crediting them)

So as you can see, there is plenty of motivation to do this despite the logistical hurdles which we will cover later. I've been into the doujin art platform Pixiv so much over the past year, so much so I actually put them up as phone wallpapers on days I don't want to see voice actresses lol why are you lying to your Ajuju *giggles* As to what made me end up with this and how I got what I have though, this will be a longer story to tell.

See, some of these artwork aren't exactly of age lol I'm not buying those, but still, among the websites to buy these, Melonbooks is easily the largest online store for such works, and here comes the first hurdle not mentioned in the 10 volumes of "Douki-chan" I've bought from not them: Users require Japanese identification in order to sign up. Yup, that sucks for me during end June when I was deciding on how to get this going, so my alternative will be to rely on proxy services which are aplenty nowadays because you just have to pay them more money. *silence* I chose to settle with Buyee instead of Zenmarket due to the latter's choppy ordering arrangements (I had to chat with them to align the local shipping fees and availability, they banned some of the items) (hehe), even though I was initially only motivated to buy Chigusa Minori-sensei's artwork in the form of postcards which are exclusively sold on Melonbooks (exclusivity is one of their tactics by the way). But over the course of the month of July, more new publications were announced on Melonbooks in dawn of a major event, I realized I could not miss out on just ordering some cards and NOT pad the order. *giggles* 

I only got around to order them using Buyee when August just started but this is where my issues actually began: Pre-order and everything else were ordered separately by Buyee. In regret, I now recall that Zenmarket will be able to compile and order them together, making me save on shipping fees and/or be able to align the timings for these orders considering that, and this is what got me anxiety for the past week, the initial list of items not on pre-order had to wait almost a month for the pre-order items to appear. *cringe* Almost had to pay for more money just to add additional days to keep the former batch on their warehouse. I even went on to inquire their staff on the latter batch via email because tracking wasn't even showing properly on their website which is probably more infuriating than I have thought. (So yeah, Zenmarket always from now on, me) 


THE PLAN
Remember when I mentioned I wanted to pad an order of just postcards from this Minori-sensei? Yep, that was the initial plan. I scoured the site to find more of the same type of product so I can showcase some sets of postcards out and not need to buy books since they were bulky and take up space in my room which is already chalked full of them (hehe). Eventually though, as Comiket closed in and more books were announced for the event itself, I could not help but consider why not support the artists the best I can by giving their books worth of photos- (ah hey, it's) illustrations a go?

As such, the plan now was to forsake any postcard orders and other types of merch (they have posters and body pillows if you want lol) and focus on illustration books (commonly known as "irasutoshuu") which:
  • They can only feature originals so no anthology books which also means screw you "Otonari no Tenshi-sama" and your postcards haha I do not Anime here; Also no to fanart of mobile games specifiable "Blue Archive" fanart with their distinctive character halos, they have only been ruining my social media feeds lately
  • They cannot be mature rated and Zenmarket can actually help me check that since they have to list it on their site first and will warn if it is not allowed (I didn't buy via them though *cringe*)
  • They have to be sold in Melonbooks haha that's the whole point of the title
  • The artists of these works can be found in Pixiv and/or Twitter/X and that's an assumption I make to all of them just for profiling purposes
  • They must make art I like - Realistic character design, proportionate body figures, cannot have too much detail - and we will elaborate more on that later (Sorry for asking for perfection but what did you even expect out of this? Welcome to the world of 2D haha)
  • They cannot be sold exclusively on location since I won't be able to buy them and promoting them on social won't matter in my case
  • All the items total are to stay within 20k JPY (~200 SGD) in budget
We will from here on cover 11 other artists apart from Yomu-sensei which - because we did that recently but instead - will be replaced by the Comiket 102 catalogue made by Melonbooks themselves, we will talk about the purpose of that later.


THE ARTISTS
I feel like putting a summary here before we proceed, so here are all the artists in review based on various criteria which I think are relevant to our topic of conversation moving on. I will not, however, talk about their relevance in the industry because there will be no end to this but you may find some of them familiar here if you know of them, specifically in their involvement on character design of specific virtual YouTubers that I suppose are the thing these days in Japan's streaming scene.

In case you wondered, and I've bought their manga series 10 times already, Yomu-sensei was supposed to be in this package but I bought it separately as you have seen weeks ago, to maintain the trend of buying from Toranoana and getting their special gift (inconsistently). So yeah, they are in a different level. *giggles* Oh, and also why we don't talk about them because they have twice the followers on Twitter/X compared to Minori-sensei below. *silence* Haha that's how the world works dude

*Data accurate as of 4th Sep 2023
Artist Info Relevance/Known Period Quality/Preference Popularity (Twitter/X) Decency/H Level
Chigusa Minori
Pixiv Twitter
When I Started Pixiv
⏳⏳⏳⏳⏳
Perfect
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚πŸ˜²πŸ₯°
728.9k
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Average
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™
92M
Pixiv Twitter
When I Started Pixiv
⏳⏳⏳⏳⏳
Average
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚
574.5k
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dangerous
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™πŸ”ž
Hiten
Pixiv Twitter
Immersed Into Pixiv
⏳⏳⏳⏳
Perfect
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚πŸ˜²πŸ₯°
512.1k
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Pure
🌸
Miwano Rag
Pixiv Twitter
Everyday Discovery
⏳⏳⏳
Amazing
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚πŸ˜²
372.9k
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Average
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™
Fuumi
Pixiv Twitter
Everyday Discovery
⏳⏳⏳
Average
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚
470.9k
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Average
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™
Rangu
Pixiv Twitter
Everyday Discovery
⏳⏳⏳
Average
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚
502.3k
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Average
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™
Sano Hiyori
Pixiv Twitter
Found on Melonbooks
Amazing
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚πŸ˜²
56.3k
⭐⭐
Average
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™
Komizuki
Pixiv Twitter
Just Seen on Pixiv
⏳⏳
OK
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘
69.0k
⭐⭐
Pure
🌸
Nakamura
Pixiv Twitter
Just Seen on Pixiv
⏳⏳
Amazing
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚πŸ˜²
194.0k
⭐⭐⭐
Average
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™
Omulettomato
Pixiv Twitter
Found on Melonbooks
Average
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘πŸ™‚
14.1k
Average
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™
Kureha
Pixiv Twitter
Everyday Discovery
⏳⏳⏳
OK
πŸŽ¨πŸ‘
187.6k
⭐⭐⭐
Dangerous
πŸŒΈπŸ‘™πŸ”ž

This post will feature as much review talk as possible by (1) not showing any "rated content" as there will be quite a lot I promise you lmao, (2) not showing too much content and as much as I like to show these off these are still copyrighted material and they are not heavily circulated online (yet), and (3) sharing their respective social media posts if I can find them, and leave the rest to your imagination.

πŸ˜‹

I will also refer to all of them from here on as "they", because gender is not a thing for these unknown heroes of our age (lol), and even though there are subtle hints here and there, I don't want to imply on their gender based on name and on style- There are female illustrators out there who love little girls with boobs too, just ask Shigure Ui-

So, before we proceed... *giggles*



DISCLAIMER
This blog post is intended to showcase and promote indie artwork and are shown for general informational purposes only. All efforts have been made to ensure this does not contain any mature or explicit content.

However, do note that external links and embedded content from other sites shown here may lead to content beyond our control, and we cannot guarantee the display of such content from third-party sites. We strongly advise users to exercise caution and use discretion when accessing external links or interacting with embedded content.

While we make every effort to keep the site free from any mature or inappropriate content, we cannot guarantee the complete absence of unintentional errors or omissions. By accessing this webpage, you acknowledge and agree that you have access and are able to view the content at your own risk. We shall not be held responsible for any consequences that may arise from the use or reliance on the information provided on this blog post.