Tuesday 26 May 2015

The Klassic Note Review 2015.04 Issue 1 (Revised)

I wrote “revised” just for the sake of it. Or to cover the fact that I forgot to do a review of it. As you know, I’ve been under a lot of stress just a month ago. Anyways, let’s do the Mina-chan single.
Also, I also forgot to do up the review of her music video. Oh well, might as well do it here too. I intend to do Tomacchan’s music video too, but I got nosebleed, so I recommend I suspend that. Man, just thinking about it…



音楽 The Klassic Note Review
Kotobuki Minako – black hole [Single]
Limited Edition Regular Edition
(Mina-chan in a very different light. Especially when she had her hair cut over the end of the year. Man I miss the long hair already…)

Origin: Mina-chan has been on a long journey since her debut in 2010 (yes it’s been five years), and so am I under her associated music style that is “Kotobuki Rock”, which has nothing to do with her style. Changing her style under the 2nd album, she reverts (only slightly) back to the usual rock style which I know and love, and this time makes a break in terms of coolness and personal style, which is great. Not perfect, but really great.

(1) black hole
(Don’t remind me how my friend talked about my money going down this “black hole” joke) The songs has meaning, and it talks about that selfish self draining itself into a black hole, in what I must say her boldest and coolest attempt yet. The music video deepens the impression her as she continues to express herself in many ways than other. So cool, so personal (for my case actually), and so well done, in terms of melody in general and through the little lyrics I know. There are plenty of English lyrics here, so it somehow makes it easier for me to understand, but that doesn’t mean I can understand what she is singing. English lessons, anyone?
Rating: 4 stars (Above Average)

(2) Another Wonderland
Yes, the deciding factor for this single. As seen from her success of her technopop style last season (I’m referring to her singles to her 2nd album, ie. 2013-2014) she attempts on another of such a song, throwing me off after I hear just half a minute of the song preview from her radio broadcast. I know, it’s hard to give it, but I eventually did, considering the song being short and the song format being simple and rather repetitive, which means there isn’t much for composition error (remember that dreadful bridge thing?)  (even though there is), so I just closed one eye for the style, and poof, the single is on my shelf. It’s okay, but great if you like such a style. Not so much for me though. The beats can carry some weight, but in Klassic Note it’s not much praised. Still, I took a step back and gave it for the whole image of this song.
Rating: 4 stars (Average)

Conclusion: Overall a decent release, not her best, but still commendable. It’s different from usual, and that is to be complimented. I just feel that she can do more, especially when I enjoyed so much of her first album back then. Perhaps the bar has been raised, but I like to give Mina-chan’s voice a chance. I just hope the composers give her a better song or two so I can give her the thumbs up every time. If you like Mina-chan, this single should be on your shelf too, but if you’re not, man the A-side is great. If you don’t know how cool she is, listen to that song.


THE MUSIC VIDEO
I’ll keep it short here, as images speak a thousand words. I can only say, if you think you only see such cool music videos outside Japan, it’s time to look at this now. So cool, mysterious and crazy is Mina-chan here it’s not hard to convince yourself to do crime. (lol) Nonetheless a great video, exhibiting her other side we’ve never seen before in the best way possible. Here are some to get you started.


I guess that is all. Mina-chan as always is worth a listen, and disappointment isn’t very often compared to many other voice actor singers out there, so I guess you should give her a chance. Eight singles down, there’s nothing wrong about her singing, really.

[P.S.: This is a delayed review. For first impressions, here’s a couple of tweets I salvaged to give a better prospective.

Okay, maybe not. *laughs*]