Monday 6 July 2015

The Klassic Note Review 2015.07 Issue 1

May not be the only issue, but this is probably going to start things off. Whether the next one is near is... undetermined, lol.



音楽 The Klassic Note Review
AyumiKurikaMaki - Honey Honey Honey [Single]
Anime Edition Limited Edition Regular Edition
(Meh. No difference to me. I'd rather this be an Anison so I get to see the Anime Edition in real life, yes?)

Origin: It all started from Anime "Punch Line". You know, that Anime original that attracts you with panties and gives you a hell of a time with mechas, robots, an end-of-the-world scenario and female characters backed up by popular voices? Yeah, that show. This is, of course, its ending theme song, and on first listen it isn't all that bad. And after closer inspection it gets better. Because this girls group started from niconico videos (same with ClariS) (notice it's the same major company taking them in, ie. Sony Music Japan), their style is highly determined by production, and in this case, all the songs are done in a rock style somehow. This means it's down my alley, the songs. The girls I'm not so sure.

To summarise the members from the booklet (because I had a hard time Google-ing it), Ayumi (the one in the middle) is the main vocal (not really), Kumika (left) is the DJ (seriously?) and Maki (right) is just here to pump things up. Seriously. It's written in their booklet.

(1) Honey Honey Honey
This is the topic song, and if you watched the music video there's reason to like this song. I can say the video is definitely not a factor to giving, as you know I give Anime theme songs a chance before I even watch the show anyway. As usual I shall not comment about the middle part (you know what I'm talking about), but overall the song is pretty palatable, and nice to be honest. A very lovey-dovey love song, with the best mood put into the song ever. Not that I've heard anything else from them yet, but then this does well as itself as it does as a theme song, I must say.
Rating: 4 stars (Anime song average)

(2) KILLLA TUNE
(Not a spelling error) This is the last song on the list, I mean, to be on my list. A couple of reasons why this turned me off at first listen, but at second listen I decided to give it. This is mainly because the garage rock tune is similar to SCANDAL, who of course you might have known sings this style once, say, four years ago, when they weren't writing their own songs. Also, the transition from high to low is pretty damn good on this song, so I can't help but give it in the end, and also this single.
Rating: 4 stars (Average)

(3) Ai no Uta [A Love Song]
The probable reason to why I'm giving this single the chance, because of this song, especially when I reviewed this single for the first time. This song? It's great. The honest singing of love, that feeling of similarity to singers (if you understand the lyrics), and the simple tune brings about a good impression to me when I first took a listen. As you would've seen this song is the shortest in the list at about 3 minutes, but then short songs are always awesome, aren't they? Less chances to make mistakes...
Rating: 4 satrs (Above Average)

Overall: A great single to listen. I'll listen to these rock tunes anytime, especially the last one of course. It's not a bad listen, when coming from a new listener standpoint. If you watch the Anime, you should give a listen too. Don't just skip over it like many of my friends do (I know that, probably you too), and give it a chance. This one is a good example of Anime songs still sounding good there.


THE PACKAGE
It came within a week, so that is a consolation (I decided to get it on the wrong day too anyway) for me. The special gift for order in my initial weak research was a badge, and I saw CDJapan and they offered a trading card, and I'm like "Why not the card instead of a badge?", so I took it from there. Surprisingly, I got one of the girls, and luckily not the other two with a chance to get the Kumika one (sorry my bad). Not surprisingly, it's until I went to the official website AGAIN do I notice that all purchases come with one of 15 OTHER CARDS. The jacket and CD itself is well done as usual, coming from a subset of Sony Music Japan (DefStar, also from Tsuji Shion until 2010), and I'd rather thought I get the group card instead since this is my first CD from them. Also, I- Wait, what?

Wow, would you take a look at this. They printed the booklet wrongly. Serious? And I've got till September to send them back to they can give me a corrected one? OMG.

Now what?

...

I'll think about it. I've got till September anyways. Problem is how to do it. I'm... miles away from Japan, man. Delivery is going to cost me, especially when it isn't in Japan (they said they'd pay for local, but wait till they see it's from where I am lol). So not worth it, I may not even bother to do it. What an anti-climax, huh. Discovery is such a bad thing to do. And there goes my impression of their production. Well, at least there's the trading card of Maki-chan, so I'll gladly take it. Talk about errors...


That's it today, guys. I hoped there's more for you to listen to besides the whole load of indie songs I introduced to you over last weekend, as this may not be a great chance to the already rock tunes. Anyway, take a listen to this one, and I'll see you guys soon. As we talk I'm still mentally challenging myself to get things done. It's not easy, haha.