Sunday 1 March 2015

The Klassic Note Review – 2015.02 Issue 1

Yes, it’s here.

Somehow around the same day I order the first batch of releases last year, which is also close before my birthday, things are starting to kick off. And we start with this set of releases, and potentially with more to come. Let’s get started because this may get long. The album, yeah.

I’ll start with the reviews, then the package.Really, it’s going to be long.



音楽 The Klassic Note Review
moumoon – Hello, shooting-star [Single]
Limited Edition Regular Edition
(I know. That Koro-sensei face. Why must they spoil their image with such a Regular Edition cover? *sigh*)

Origin: moumoon is not unfamiliar to me, especially when Aki-chan seems to be fan of their songs too. Apparently it just needs an opportunity, and here it is. Start of the year welcomes two new Anime, one of them is the well known “Assassination Classroom”, which featured this as the ending song. And if I had to give one of the theme songs to watch the show, I’ve got one. And it’s great. More previews online and an early release of the B-side lead to me confirming the single even before the album covers are out. Thanks to their monthly FULL MOON LIVE (on YouTube too) (and you may have known from my Twitter) I get to know more of them, though a bit late, I guess.

(1) Hello, shooting-star
This song initially gives a feel of thankfulness, and actually with the music video gives off the vibe of missing a loved one. Sad at most, this song has a nice beat, simplistic yet wonderful melody, and somewhat accurate English lyrics. (don’t worry we’ll get to this later too) Nonetheless, this IS a good song, and I’m still thinking of whether to give this 5-stars. Anyway this goes, I’m prepared to give it by the end of the year anyway, so check out then, yes? Meanwhile. the music video gives a nice perspective on this song, so be sure to check it out.
Rating: 4 stars (too good I should be giving more)


(2) BF
The song title pretty obviously stands for “Best Friend”, but I may still be wrong.  (LOL) Even so, this song immediately catches my attention long before I get to hear the other song in this release. Full of English lyrics, at least vocalist and lyricist YUKA is getting most of it correct, as I need little attention for the lyrics to sing the whole song correct. Short and simple, the lyrics explain many of how one would do for their best friend, like being by their side and believing what they believe and so on. Overall, nice short melody, and after one month of listening before the release I still like the song. Oh well, it released digitally at the start of the year anyway. Hard to think this was a drama theme song. Hmm…
Rating: 4 stars (Average)

Conclusion: I must say moumoon for being the first single to pre-order and order is an honour for me too. With this single I’ve also tuned in to two sessions of the online lives, and probably will be listening to their next one coming within the next week. FULL MOON LIVE, you know. Give this one a listen everyone, and you won’t regret. That kind of simple melodies you cannot find anywhere else.



音楽 The Klassic Note Review
7!! (seven oops) – Orange [Single]
Limited Edition Regular Edition
(Simple, and nice, and sentimental. For both covers. You’ll get the cover after you listen to the song.)

Origin: The Anime “Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso”. Honestly both theme songs came to me as not an impression, but deeply rooted into them over time until I actually have the time to listen to them. Especially this ending theme song, which really struck me the moment I watched the music video and heard the full song. Really, listening to Anime preview is so misleading…

(1) Orange
And I think I know why this is the *checks list of songs in Klassic Note* FIFTH SONG to feature the exact same title, because they deliver about the same mood, and this one struck me as one of the best. The main rock best supported by the awesome melody, accompanied by vocalist NANAE’s (which is also the origin of their band name, if you’re still wondering) high-pitched singing… this song is… I don’t know. Every time I sing this song I want to tear up. And it’s pretty obvious: it sounds sentimental. Also more the case when you watch the Anime, and you know about Kaori-chan’s condition. The music video is even more memorable, citing locations of the Anime in real life, and singing in the performance hall Kousei performs. Surely this must be one of the most complete credits for an Anime theme song, isn’t it?
Rating: 5 stars (*salutes, then sobs*)

(2) Koi no Recipe [The Recipe of Love]
I waited for this song to appear before this came into the order list, and it wasn’t in vain. The songs sounded surprisingly well, though may be fanservice in nature due to its light-hearted melody. The cute singing with the lovey-dovey lyrics on romance sure bring up the mood for this song, and I must say it’s great. Furthermore, the song isn’t long, so it retains the essence without spoiling the song. (Very surprising, really) Overall a nice song to listen to, especially for Valentines, yes?
Rating: 4 stars (Average; Above Average if I love NANAE-chan)

Conclusion: This review may just be the beginning. Focusing on moumoon over the last month, the next probably will feature more of their songs from their latest I intend to give a chance to. Hopefully we get more awesome songs from them, considering this band arrangement and the nature of their rock music style. This single is great, and I’m giving you guys a chance to listen to it. Right now. Go. Give it a listen. Even if it’s not high on the Oricon charts.



音楽 The Klassic Note Review
sphere – sphere [Album]
Limited Edition Regular Edition

(I’m not joking about the title. More importantly, Mina-chan cut her beautiful long hair… *sob* btw the Regular one is nicer xD)

Origin: Klassic Note is definitely not unfamiliar with sphere, one of the most successful voice actor groups out there in Japan. Following their five years as a group, they released a survey last year to evaluate the fan’s favourites (by “fans” I mean those who bought their 4th album or live DVD/BD and got online to vote) and came out with an interesting list. Nonethtless, I managed to give two more to meet the minimum standard that is Klassic Note, and here it is. Thanks sphere, you girls are great!
(Yes we WILL go through ALL of them above – click to see all of the songs. And I’ll probably talk more about why the songs end up in this best album)

(1) Future Stream
It’s the first song I listen from them, as with many long-lasting fans of course. This one started from Anime “Hatsukoi Limited”, and less interested in the theme song I’m more interested in the show. Surprisingly this is still a favourite amongst fans, despite its history and all. This also set the new standard to the songs they get to sing, along with variety within these five years.
Rating (from 2009): 4 stars (Average)

(2) Non stop road
Probably one of the most impressive songs is this, the theme song from the sphere-only casting of original Anime “Natsuiro Kiseki”. Despite the story not being the best out there, the opening theme song is a great one, and I agree with them, if you would remember this song also ended up on Klassic Note Rankings of 2012. Simple, lively, active, touching… so much of this song represent the group we all know and love, and this one probably hits the charts. It’s #1 on my list, at least.
Rating (from 2012): 4 stars (Above Average) (#8 in Klassic Note Rankings 2012)

(3) MOON SIGNAL
This one is impressive in the way that it probably changed the style that is in this group one year into singing songs. Also a theme song for an Anime I didn’t watch, but that is not the point. For being a supporter for their songs, this one also came as an impression for me. The strong beats and very eccentric mood of the songs brings out the uniqueness of this song alone. This one stands out so much even the intro will make you remember this song.
Rating (from 2010): 4 stars (Above Average)

(4) Kimi no Sora ga Hareru Made [Until Your Sky Becomes Clear]
Hmm this is one of the two songs I gave in order for this to come into the ordering checklist. Why so? Because the song is simple, and has a easy-listening tune, along with unique lyrics that will make you remember the song, and definitely a song being heard almost every live over their five years. Why only give now? I know. I also don’t know why. Mood plays a major factor in Klassic Note, and this was a song from their first album, so I guess… But yeah, it’s about time I guess, so simple a song I must give especially in such an occasion.
Rating: 4 stars (Average)

(5) Super Noisy Nova
This one is from their second single of the same debut year. Even though I didn’t watch the Anime it was credited on, but this song also helped build the foundation for me listening to their songs. And it wasn’t bad at all. Moreover, it was great. Catchy, cute and a little fun in this song talking somewhat briefly about astronomy in relation with love, which might just be the inspiration from the theme of their group, planets and stars and all those stuff.
Rating (from 2009): 4 stars (Average)

(6) Kimi ga Taiyou [You’re The Sun]
Even if this wasn’t in the list likely because it hit the minimum, and seeing it at such a high ranking in the fans’ list, I think I must make a mention, yes? I know they even made a music video for their first music video disc release, but then something that doesn’t catch me probably is song format. I just don’t want to go through everything I understand as within Klassic Note, but suffice it to say the bridge part of the song is just too unsuited for my tastes. (Still that is pretty frank) Anyways, don’t mind me, this is still a catchy song in itself, and in many live performances this brings much meaning to the girls.
Rating: Not In List

(7) Hazy
I know I may have to say this many times, but mostly sphere’s songs involves me listening to the awesome songs without watching the related Anime, and this is no exception. Relaxed, and a rather slow-paced song is not regular in the many single topic songs they have, but this one lines up well, and is very memorable in many ways, along with the Anime itself (which I did not watch) I guess. When I feel sad surprisingly this song ringed in my mind many times before. Surely this is not a song to be missed, yes?
Rating (from 2010): 4 stars (Average)

(8) GENESIS ARIA
Apparently fans love upbeat songs, yes? Not so much for me, melodies out of major notes (learn music to understand this) are not unusual, but sound less catchy and easy-listening in nature. But this song still sounds great, and it must be commended. They say this year maybe a slump for their songs, but I guess not, huh. This recovery is somewhat fast and special. And still great, in the opinion of many.
Rating (from 2013): 4 stars (Average)

(9) LET.ME.DO!!
This one also falls in the “easy-to-listen-must-give-five-stars” category. Everything about liveliness, awesomeness and simplicity must conclude here somehow, as this is also the first time they star in their own comedy drama series “Sphere Club”, and this being the short, catchy theme song it needs. Overall an awesome song, and I think the rating says everything. I’m just going to silently reminisce the days I totally am into the song…
Rating (from 2011): 5 stars (Awesome)(#6 in Klassic Note Rankings 2011)


(10) Eternal Tours
Released as their 5th anniversary single, and not yet the best album in any way, this one comes back from their variety and gives us a wonderful, simple and nice song to listen, remembering their best days of this journey that is sphere. Coupled with the associating lyrics to represent their journey, this song immediately caught the attention for me already. Even the B-side which is done partly (very small part, like, the intro only) by each of them, is released in four versions with respect to their perspective in the lyrics. Unfortunately it is due to this too that I am not able to get a Regular Edition out of this, and gave this release a miss. Not any more. This song is simple and great. Even a 3-year-old will enjoy this, really.
Rating (from 2014): 4 stars (Above Average)

(11) Rakugaki Dictionary [Graffiti Dictionary]
This one is that second song I gave so I can write about this best album. Reason this one came late because mostly this song sounds traditional in melody, which does not make of a good impression, unlike (4) which I gave more willingly in some sense. The lyrics also don’t come as much to me too along with (4), but then it sounds nice, and it’s time I gave it. Also probably I missed it due to it also being an album song from their first album. More interesting for the fans, I wonder why they are so nostalgic…
Rating: 4 stars (Average)

(12) Planet Freedom
The topic song from their third album is the unlikely contender for this list, but then I also noticed this album is also the one with the least number of new (album) songs and the only album I got close to placing it on my shelf. From what I remember, I gave this and another one, but missed two which are even featured in their lives for two years. Hmm, I know.I may have been too harsh back then, but then this one stands out with an impact that makes me want to give the song the moment I heard it. Great song, overall. I love the ‘freedom’ in this song.
Rating (from 2012): 4 stars (Above Average)

(13) Now loading… SKY!!
There you go, sphere’s best take at a love song. May not sound like it at first, but the lyrics started kicking in and I noticed this is actually their best romance song, amongst all they have till now. A little naughty (especially in the music video), and a little quirky, this catchy and upbeat song sure brings out the little romance personality in them, and I guess is a good song to be talking about if you’re one hardcore fan of them. And I am. And I think this is awesome. Funny why this is so far off the top.
Rating (from 2010): 4 stars (Above Average)
(#13 in Klassic Note Rankings 2010) (Oops I also gave this low back then)

(14) A.T.M.O.S.P.H.E.R.E
Probably the most representative of their first year from debut is the topic song from their first album, and this may not sound awesome at first, but listening to it again gives a whole different impression. It feels like they have grown so much hearing this song now, and the catchy tune and eccentric lyrics bring out the best of them, and I’m just glad to see this in the list too.
Rating (from 2009): 4 stars (Average)

(15) Ding! Dong! Ding! Dong!
Why not this even if I know Hyadain-san and hear his songs before? Well what you may not know is I don’t listen to ALL of his songs (mainly the couple ones with a supposed female partner Hyadaruko), and this one is definitely in his weird styles of music, even though brings out each of the member’s styles and his impressions of them. Nice try, but I can’t put myself to give it. Initially I told myself “it’s Hyadain means it will sound great” but I gave up after listening to it last year for the first time. I guess fans love it because of the all-variety style that I could never give, at least within Klassic Note.
Rating: Not In List

Overall: This list may not be the most ideal, but man it’s a great one. Especially how much these songs are distributed, and how much fans show their preference in style and a little of nostalgia, too. Funny the latest songs also have a stand in this list, which shows production is consistently well in providing us the best songs with probably the best voice actor group till date (really all the StylipS and YuiKaori and everying are all bullsh*t), and man, who doesn’t like a great song every now and then? I know I do, and this list provides the best. Really, at least give the five star ones a listen. Or if you can listen more then the ones which have rankings in Klassic Note. After that, you’ll probably become a fan of sphere, I know it. *laughs*

This one is long, and I’ve passed the month at midnight, AND I’M NOT DONE YET!!


THE PACKAGE
Let’s keep it short then.

Things I expected: Only this.
IMG_3855-PC
Because HMV Japan mentioned it. Despite me being late in order for their single and only timely to pre-order moumoon’s, and sphere’s best album’s special gifts would’ve already been distributed by the time I want to even click the order button.

Things I didn’t expect: This.
The postcard gift from buying sphere’s best album, and an extra poster promoting their first single (the first picture, folded in the background). So surprising, I don’t even dare to put that poster up even if it’s this big, really. So nostalgic, I think I’m missing those days already.

If you’re wondering about what that booklet is in seven oops' single, it’s an extra from their artist’s book from their previous album “Start Line”, which I’m going to review within the following week probably. And why moumoon has no special gifts? Let me tell you this: the only place that gives them is at Shinseido (not the salon, and I bought a SCANDAL single from there before), and imagine how many fans moumoon has. Yeah, what are my chances. And besides, it’s a clear file, which maybe too much for my shelf. Oh well, hope there’s next time then. *sob*

I shouldn’t be sad. I got a lot more than I didn’t expect, so I should be happy. Yesh. *laughs internally*


I guess that’s finally all, folks. Phew, that was tough, trying to do the sphere best album review whilst watching the 100th radio broadcast live with Mina-chan and Tomacchan. (someone tweeted seeing someone’s panties WTF) Cya guys next time then, actually it’s just tomorrow, for the Entertainment News. Until then… I feel empty. After seeing how much I need to catch up on assignments. *sigh* *laughs* I must be crazy…