Sunday 9 August 2015

The Windows 10 Review - (At Least) One Week Later

Well, it's going to be two weeks, but still.

I promised a review of the latest OS (operating system) that will strive to change the world altogether (unless you use Mac or Linux, which is not my problem), and I'm here. In a nutshell if you don't want to read the whole damn thing or watch any YouTube videos, the Windows 10 OS released to public in July 29 2015 is not complete. In this point you may not want to do anything first if you haven't gotten the upgrade or buy a new computer, but bear in mind it's going to happen. This software is going to make the future. Okay, enough of propaganda, let's get into the details.


BEFORE REVIEW
Why this? Because I've been waiting for it the moment I heard of it, which probably started from the start of the year. Back then I'm rather sceptical of them (Microsoft, for use in this post) being able to combine the metro apps with the fundamental Windows32 applications, and I was not wrong. They had to call on a big community of "insiders" to help them test and suggest new features which will help shape the future of this system. Many things have happened, and before I managed to watch any YouTube videos or try it out myself here's what I know about the stuff before the release date:
  • There is a Start Menu, after the failure of not doing so in Windows 8.
  • Good old Windows is not forgotten; ie. desktop looks like desktop, and feels like a more modern and classy version of Windows 7. Style of Windows 8, desktop of Windows 7, if you get what I mean.
  • Windows 8 is also not forgotten (which may or may not be a good thing); ie. metro apps are here to stay, there's a new Windows Store to host all new and old apps, and there are many native apps by Microsoft to kick things off in this new ecosystem.
  • The latest of technology is implemented to the new software, from biometric scanning to advanced voice input, which are revealed to be Windows Hello and Cortana respectively.
More recent news before the release revealed the names of the half a dozen (only) native apps that are due for release, abandoning Windows Media Player and Media Center for the new applications for photos, music (Groove), and video (Film & TV). Really, it's a lot lesser than I thought it would. Look at Windows 8.

You can say I'm excited, but at the same time I was worried. I worry that it may not end up as easy as it sounds, like, the amalgamation of both application ecosystems seems to be unlikely seeing Windows 8 stumble into a spiral of failure. Well at least instead of separation there is a level of combination, and that is a good start.


THE GOOD
Now that I've touched on it, let's talk about it. About what is good and exceeded my expectations.
  • It totally feels like Windows again. And not the awkwardness of a new operating system that I experienced when I first got my hands on Windows 8 years ago. Or a year ago if you talk about me getting my Surface Pro 3. (hehe)
  • The Start Menu looks correct, meaning if you liked a list of recent apps and shortcuts to personal folders and "My Computer" they are there, especially when it was an option to do so.
  • Settings looks more concise now, though not much of say simplicity. Initial setup is much more straightforward without much difficulty as with previous systems.
  • Search is back to the level of useful, and is embedded to the taskbar instead of the Start Menu. Convenience brought up to a whole new level. This range is from all documents within your super big hard disk to whatever you don't understand in the settings menu.
  • Virtual desktop and windows built-in into the operating system. Which means you can create a desktop for work and for play, splitting windows and apps to more distinct sections than the stacked windows in Windows 7 and left hidden sidebar in Windows 8.
  • The various media native metro apps resemble Picasa in Photos, your music player app or Windows 8 music app in Groove, and a little better than Windows Media Player in Film & TV. A new internet browser Edge is also introduced to combat itself against Chrome and Firefox.

THE NOT SO GOOD
Now my favourite part. Criticisms. And they need a lot. Because they can always do better, or so I think.
  • Performance and transitions is an issue. It feels buggy, because things don't naturally work well. Thinking back to Windows 8 where everything flows smoothly despite weird gestures, Windows 10 is less weird gestures but lack in consistency in transition. For example I use picture passwords and the lock screen on the tablet PC, and on average it's about a couple of seconds longer to get in to desktop every time in Windows 10. The picture has to load sometimes and and lock screen suffers from some stuttering. And that is only starting up every time I want to use the computer, whether if it's turned off or left on standby.
  • The native apps? I was lying about it being good. I was being kind already. Photos is rather feature-less at this point (if you use Picasa like me you'll know), Groove does nothing but play music only (that is if you don't have a music subscription and don't import iTunes music), and the video player? Let's say it can't even play any of the Matroska Anime I has in my hard disk. And they did mention they support it with subtitles. I know about the encoder support thing, but this is pretty ridiculous compared to VLC or MPC-HC. Seriously.
  • Native apps complaints part2: Mail app is terrible, and it cannot even sync my Outlook account. Yeah. Xbox has its own app now, which I did not test, but suffice it to say you launch your games from it every time then Steam maybe a better option.
  • Microsoft Edge: it's locked. Meaning it does not support add-ons or extensions (no Adblock, people), nor does it support certain plug-ins. All I could do with the browser besides view text websites is YouTube. So only flash works on it. Posting in Blogger on the days before I got my computer assembled last week was impossible, and I had to rely on Internet Explorer (backed up) to post without having to type HTML code.
  • Windows Store is as bad as usual, and it does not support the removal of apps you installed and didn't like, and also many apps are not supporting the new system yet, especially it gets more weird when you use them in desktop mode because of the three menu buttons at the top right.
  • Action Center becomes your notifications panel instead of warning you of various problems with your system. Back then in Windows 7 and 8 it is used to inform you of Windows Update settings (which you don't have to worry anymore, more later) and lack of an antivirus software, in which Windows Defender steps in as a last minute resort. Problem in Windows 10 is now even social media and probably only metro apps can have access to these notifications, and they will spam that big screen to your right, which is empty for me because (1) I don't use metro apps to notify me of anything like how I do with my phone, and (2) without that the computer will serve as a quiet buddy just how I liked it in Windows 7. So now you know. It's practically useless in my opinion.
  • The amalgamation of apps and Windows32 applications is still not a success, yet. Not a success because Settings still appear as Control Panel if you cannot find what you want, for example power settings. Yet as hopefully they will really ditch the Windows32 application somewhere in the future so it does not have this level of complication. I have a feeling it's not happening, though.
  • To celebrate Windows 8's return, there is a Tablet Mode, which if you're using a desktop PC this is useless to you. See, waste of space again. Everything looks bigger as I ramp the text in desktop mode 150%, which means there isn't anything useful to it. The Start Menu becomes full screen (shout out to Windows 8 again), and all apps run independently without the use of the top three buttons. Independently because Microsoft Edge won't run in the background when I open up another app like Facebook. Stupid, huh. I resorted to using desktop mode for now. To make things even worse, the taskbar is still there. In like, a Windows 8 mode in Windows 10.
  • Localisation for this new OS is an issue. If you don't live in the USA, or if you do not set the region to that country of origin, you'll have no access to Cortana. And that is provided if you speak American English. Windows Hello is only available to new computers with Intel RealSense Technology which have front-facing camera that recognise human faces. So yeah, I stare to my Surface Pro 3 and it immediately shook its head.
  • Windows Update is mandatory, unless you're one of those Enterprise or Business people. This also means it's auto by default, and manual update only means deference, in which case it can potentially be a ghost to come back and haunt you every time you start up, especially with Action Center sooooooooooo within reach. Certain reviews out there also state that if Microsoft released a security breach in an update there is nothing all of us can do about it until it's too late. But seeing their track record is pretty good I guess I'm not worrying too much about it. But still, this is an issue in the future.
  • It's confusing. It's weird. The last time I felt like this was Windows 8, and Window 10 hasn't changed much to do so. If you don't think the points above make of an unusually awkward user experience, you're not alone. And this isn't the only stuff we see have problems and issues with them. Luckily there's a Windows Feedback app which... is a good place to rant all your problems without posting them all over the internet. Am I right?

THE VERDICT, AFTER ONE WEEK
I agree with some reviews on YouTube, so I'll use their perspective and add on to my opinion. Below are ranked from latest OS in opinions of your current OS to decide on whether to get Windows 10.
  • If you use Windows 8 and hate it, please upgrade it. It'll be better off living in that hell of an OS. Windows32 application integration is as successful as you know from Windows 7, and Windows 8 features are not a necessity anymore. Especially that list of apps you have to install every time you reset your OS. Believe me; I've tried many apps and reset my OS a couple of times.
  • If you use Windows 8 an are comfortable with it, please don't upgrade it. Windows 8 is stable as an OS especially when you're in Windows 8.1, and many things are not stable in the new OS yet. So wait for the right moment to upgrade and don't hurry; The offer hasn't ended yet. Not yet, anyway.
  • If you use Windows 7 and dislike it because it comes out from Windows Vista, by all means upgrade to it. Windows 10 feels more fresh and you'll like the new features from when you don't like Windows 8 too. It works well with Windows32 applications, which means if your friends are Chrome and Steam, then Windows 10 won't affect you too much for now. And it'll only get better with Xbox app anyway if you own a console that is the Xbox One.
  • If you use Windows 7 and are very comfortable with it, do not read this post. Like, just leave. Stick with it for life. You still got updates and technical vulnerabilities support up until 2020. This OS is not an option yet. My desktop PC is staying at Windows 7 even though I bought the CPU days after Windows 10 is launched purely because I feel comfortable with it. And not the amalgamation of a I-don't-know-what of an OS that I can never get used to.
And if you're getting a new computer which comes with Windows 10 now, just accept it. But if you ever get a chance to still get Windows 8, then it's up to you to experience that first before upgrading. And then read the first two points if you want to decide whether to upgrade it.



This is not the best review out there anyway (I never do, I'm rather distracted anyway), but this is quite a lot to digest given that the new OS is not yet complete. In fact, it'll never be complete. Microsoft has pledged to continue updating this software to make it better, possibly making it similar to Mac OS, where updates are released in versions than just introduce new OS every few years. And this is not entirely a bad thing. Nonetheless, Windows 10 will be here to stay, and I say we welcome it. But just a little later, after we see many things get fixed (they had a big fix 24 hours after it's released) and the system gets stable and this thing grows into us to the point that we have no choice but to transition to this software. For now, I'm still observing, and I'll put it through its paces next week where school starts and I'll be using plenty of productivity stuff to do things, hopefully not impeding on my study. Cya guys again, I hope. I don't know what to say about this OS already.